How to Cook Radishes
What nutritional value do radishes have?
This Lesson Plan is part the Nutrition Module of SustainEd Farms' virtual programming.
Radishes are a delicious and nutritious vegetable. Radishes have high amounts of vitamin C, potassium, manganese, magnesium, calcium, and B-complex vitamins. These nutrients help support healthy digestion, blood pressure, immune systems, and boost your energy. They are also low fat and low calorie that taste delicious. Explore the different ways you can cook a radish below.
Students will be able to...
Understand the nutritional benefits of a radish and explore different ways to cook them (i.e. raw, roasted, pickled, in pesto).
1. Watch the following YouTube video to get an introduction to radishes and their health benefits.
2. Preheat your oven or grill to 400 degrees F
3. Toss radishes in a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with spices
4. Place them in the oven in a single layer for about 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy
5. Season them with salt and pepper to taste
1. Watch the following YouTube video to see a demonstration of how to pickle vegetables.
2. Instead of using cucumbers, you can use thinly sliced radishes. (Click here for the complete instructions.)
1. Watch the following YouTube video to see a demonstration of how to make pesto.
2. Instead of using basil you can use the greens from the radishes. (Click here for the complete instructions.)
Download the PDF version of this lesson plan: