How to Paint a Terra-Cotta Pot!
How can we add character to our plants?
This Lesson Plan is part the Crafts Module of SustainEd Farms' virtual programming.
Like plant mascots, designing your own pot is a delightful way to evoke certain moods when caring for the plant. Terra-Cotta pots are relatively cheap, and function as a great canvas for bringing vibrant colors and thoughtful designs to life.
Students will be able to...
Create artistic designs on Terra-Cotta pots
Terra-Cotta /ˌterə ˈkädə/ noun. - pottery with an orange-brown color
1. Gather your materials. You will need the following supplies:
Terra-Cotta pot (1) · black sharpie or another black marker/pen (1) · acrylic paint, pens, or markers with assorted colors
2. Watch the following Youtube video to see a demonstration of how to paint a Terra-cotta pot. Then, follow along with the remainder of the lesson by reading the steps below.
3. Brainstorm designs/scenes/places/characters/sketches and other fun “things” to draw. Think about what you would like to see every time you view your plant.
4. Using your sharpie, let your imagination unfold by drawing a design on your Terra-Cotta pot. Any mistakes you make on your sketch should be fine as long as your paint/pens/markers are dark enough to cover them.
5. After your design is sketched onto your pot, fill it with color by using acrylic paints or another medium.
6. Let your design dry. You can always come back and paint more at a later time, or you can call it finished!
Download the PDF version of this lesson plan: